Hopeless Mercy - [Chapter 4] The Black Spyder


Chapter 4
Tap tap tap tap tap. Rain. I slowly open my eyes to see nothing but blackness. There was an arm over my stomach. I turned to see Star to check if it was just a dream, but as soon as I began to turn over she disappeared. Everything turned to darkness I was falling. Why was I falling? Where was I? I looked down to see a mattress but not the one I slept on at home with Star. This mattress was different, instead of a white-grey it was a light blue. I slowly turned my head to look around when I saw the warehouse I was originally placed in however, this was a different room. Instead of me being chained up by metal chains to the roof like last time, instead I was laying on a mattress in a part of the warehouse that seemed more cozy than the rest of the building. As I stood up I felt a sharp pain through my back. Ignoring it I started walking over to the door. Three feet from the door my leg started to shake and I lunged at the door barely missing the handle, slamming my face into the back of the door. The sound echoed through the room for what seemed to be forever before the door opened and the girl down looked at me and said 'Oh thank god. I thought you went on another killing spree of my men'. She opened the door and offered her hand to help me get up. We walked over to the table on the far side of the room. Where she pulled out a chair and sat down.
'Why were you torturing me?' I suddenly asked. She looked up and hesitated before saying 'We were testing a drug that has the ability to speed up the adrenaline production of your body to make you think, heal, and move, faster than before'. I started laughing so she started to speak again. 'Put your hand on the table', I complied and before I could ask what she was doing I heard what sounded like metal against rubber. My eyes widened as I saw her pull a knife from her waist and move to stab it through my hand. I was barely able to move my hand out of the way and had a small-sized cut on my pinky. 'What were you trying to do?' I yelled as I stood up before doubling over in pain. She just leaned back and left her knife in the table. 'You wouldn’t have been able to avoid that before' she said. I quickly opened my mouth to respond before realizing she was right. I sat back down slowly to avoid the pain of quick movements again.
'You told me you had someone to protect, is that true?' she asked me. I nodded as I leaned back in my chair so she continued the questioning 'Are you able to protect them?'. I thought for a second before shaking my head as I looked down. She stood up and walked behind my chair. 'Would you like to be able to protect her?' she whispered into my ear.  'Of course' I responded. 'What would you be willing to give up to protect her?' she whispered getting even closer. Without thinking I replied 'Anything'. 'Good. Have you ever driven a car?'. I laughed and she said 'Come with me kid.' I stood up and started stumbling after her. We walked through the maze of hallways in the warehouse as I recognized some of them however they weren’t all the same as I had seen before in my dream. She walked over to a set of steel doors and pushed them open. I was suddenly blinded by a flash of extremely bright light coming from above us. She looked at me and said 'Oh yea, colors are brighter, sounds are louder, and smells are stronger'. I slowly cracked my eyes open to see that the source of the massive bright light that I had assumed to be a giant stadium spotlight was actually just the sun. I made my way to the red Porsche she was sitting in and she handed me a pair a sunglasses saying 'These should help'. I put them on and the world got much darker, which in my case made it look like it normally had. I looked around to see that even if I would’ve gotten away from the warehouse I probably wouldn’t have made it. The entire area was grasslands that looked deserted. She started up the car and turned it around before driving off farther into the grasslands. 'You are now a member of Inferno and will act as such'. Her voice was now much different than before and I could tell she had gotten extremely serious. 'What?' I asked. 'Inferno is the current largest underground gang in this area and we have plans to become the largest in the world' she said. I leaned back in by seat taking all the information in. 'Where are we going?' I responded. 'I am going to bring you to your training grounds' she said. About five minutes into the drive I heard a change in the car’s engine. We started going faster. Much faster. I leaned over to look at the speed we were going to see that the dial was at 260 kilometers per hour. I glanced up at her and asked 'Aren’t you afraid of getting pulled over?'. She laughed and replied 'You have a lot to learn'.
About twenty minutes later we arrived at what looked to be an abandoned factory and she pulled into the driveway of the parking lot through the destroyed gate. 'This is where you will train' she said. I looked around before saying, 'But there is nothing here except this old factory'. She walked over to the destroyed industrial garage door and pressed the keypad. Beep beep beep beep beep. The door started sliding open to reveal two cars. She looked over to me and asked me 'Choose one and it’s yours'. The first car was a black 2005 Ferrari Spyder, while the second was a white 2005 Mitsubishi GTS Eclipse. I stood there in awe for at least five minutes before pointing at the white Mitsubishi. She laughed and said 'Of course you would'. She threw me the keys and got into the passenger seat, waving me into the car. I got into the front seat and she said 'Why did you choose this one?'. I looked at her giggled and said 'Because when I am done destroying this one while learning to drive I will have a brand new Ferrari waiting for me'. She started laughing and said 'You’re gonna do great in this world'. I started the car and looked around before realizing that the car was in stick-shift. I looked over at her and said 'I can’t even drive automatic'. She pointed at the breaks and said 'Push that in just enough that we don’t move'. She started to explain to me what the clutch, gas pedal, and the breaks were all used for. I started nodding to her pretending I knew exactly what she was talking about hoping I could just wing it and get it pretty decent first try. 'Ok, now do you have all that down?' she asked. I looked at her blank-faced and responded 'Yep, I think'. I started trying to drive and let out the clutch. Of course the car stalled and the engine turned off. She looked at me and said 'Tu es un idiot'. I looked at her and sighed, 'I don’t speak any languages other than English,' I responded. She looked at me and started laughing saying, 'You’re an idiot.' She continued to talk to me and explain what I did wrong. 'When you let the clutch out, do it slower so that you don’t stall the car and break my transmission.' We sat in the car for a second while I was messing with the pedals before I finally started the car up again and attempted to drive once more. The car started up and I slowly pulled it out of the garage. She had me start doing circles and figure eights in the parking lot until I was basically drifting through them, except that I didn’t know how to drift yet so it seemed more of a constant skidding. Finally she said 'You can stop now.' I pulled over to the curb and turned the car off.
She was looking at her watch when she said 'Glad we have time still.' We sat in the car for about twenty seconds before she leaned back and I asked 'Time for what?' She just leaned back and about forty seconds later her phone started going off. She answered with her finger up in the air telling me not to talk. 'Hello, yes this is. Glad to hear, we are on our way now.' She asked me to drive over to the garage and park the car. When I parked the car she stated that she would be leaving and this was where I would stay for the next two days. I was shocked and furious. 'I thought you said I could go home!' I yelled. She looked at me and said 'If you were to go home now you would die before you could come back here.' I hesitated before saying 'Where am I supposed to sleep in this shit hole?' She laughed and said 'Your room is set up somewhere in the factory. It’s not much but it should be enough for two days.' I was still upset but before I could say anything she walked towards her car. 'By the way, while you’re here alone you will not have contact to any of the outside world and you will be training all day and all night until you drop. If I catch you not training I will kill both you and your little girlfriend. The weapons and bullets are in the armory closet eighty feet away from your room. You best know how to use every single one of those weapons before I get back tomorrow.' After her speech she stepped into her car and drove off. There I stood for a solid five minutes trying to remember everything she said while still trying to figure out exactly what had just happened.

Comments